Let’s talk about some good things the Holy Spirit has been showing me in the Bible. One of my goals for the year has been to read through the Bible. The YouVersion app on my phone makes it so much easier. My reading plan is available wherever I find myself. It is so satisfying to know because you know that you have read every word. Personally, I like the chronological version best. It throws an unexpected chapter or book in there sometimes and I like that. Confession time, when I heard Beth Moore say her pastor calls Leviticus the “graveyard” of reading the Bible through in a year, I get that. During that few days, I often thought “why in the world should I know all of this? I kept telling myself, there are important truths here. Dig them out! As I look back over the past week or so, I wondered what I could learn from this book and to my surprise, I discovered 12 things that I believe God wants us to understand and remember.
- God is a jealous God. He told us that and He meant it. Get rid of the idols.
- God is very into obedience. It is of prime importance to Him.
- God has placed boundaries in our lives for our own protection. They offer us peace, health, and freedom.
- God offers opportunities for redemption and restoration along with the rules. (He knows us well.)
- When you refuse to take the aforementioned opportunities, He is firm with the consequences.
- He expects our tithes and offerings to be our best. If not, why even give them?
- God expects us to provide very well for our pastors.
- Leviticus reminds me how badly I needed Jesus to give His life for me. I desperately needed a Savior! I could never keep all those rules. I told my husband just recently that I am convinced I would have been slain or swallowed up early in the journey!
- With obedience, comes blessings. Blessings overflowing!
- God really likes for us to celebrate. Think of all those festivals!
- He expects His children to look, act, BE different for the world. We should be readily identifiable with Him.
- The God of the universe, the great I AM, our King, wants a relationship above all else with us!!!
A number 13 could be added. NEVER just read over a book in the Bible and assume there is nothing there for you. If He included it, it’s important.
Do you have some surprising finds in the Word of God? I’d love for you to share.